Overview of CAADP
In essence, CAADP is about bringing together diverse key players – at the continental, regional and national levels – to improve coordination, to share knowledge, successes and failures, to encourage one another, and to promote joint and separate efforts to achieve the CAADP goals.
CAADP aims to help African countries reach a higher path of economic growth through agriculture-led development.
Through The New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD), CAADP addresses policy and capacity issues across the entire agricultural sector and African continent. CAADP is entirely African-led and African-owned and represents African leaders' collective vision for agriculture in Africa. This ambitious and comprehensive vision for agricultural reform in Africa aims for an average annual growth rate of six percent in agriculture by 2015.
African leaders hope to see:
- Dynamic agricultural markets within countries and between regions in Africa
- Farmers taking part in the market economy and enjoying good access to markets so that Africa, capitalizing on its comparative and competitive advantages, becomes a net exporter of agricultural products
- A more equitable distribution of wealth for rural populations – in terms of higher real incomes and relative wealth. Rural populations will have more equitable access to land, physical and financial resources, and knowledge, information and technology for sustainable development
- Africa as a strategic player in agricultural science and technology, meeting the growing needs and demands of African agriculture
- Environmentally sound agricultural production and a culture of sustainable management of natural resources as a result of better knowledge, more information and the application of technology
Overall, CAADP's goal is to eliminate hunger and reduce poverty through agriculture. To do this, African governments have agreed to increase public investment in agriculture by a minimum of 10 percent of their national budgets and to raise agricultural productivity by at least six percent.
What is CAADP’s relationship to AU-NEPAD?
NEPAD is an implementing agency of the African Union and is responsible for driving economic integration in Africa. CAADP is a programme within NEPAD that is working to improve agriculture with a view to boosting economic development.
Information provided by CAADP/NEPAD