IFDC values and expects excellence from its employees and representatives. To ensure the highest level of ethics and performance, IFDC has adopted a Code of Business Ethics and Conduct. As international civil servants working to alleviate global hunger and poverty, all employees and representatives of IFDC will commit to adherence of the code.
IFDC Code of Business Ethics and Conduct
The International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) is a nonprofit public international organization (PIO). The Center addresses critical issues such as international food security, alleviation of global hunger and poverty, environmental protection and promotion of economic development and self-sufficiency. Collaborative partnerships combine cutting-edge research and development with training and education in support of agricultural sustainability.
IFDC has traditionally demanded and received the highest ethical performance from its employees and representatives. IFDC expects them to discharge their functions solely in the interest of IFDC, while conducting themselves at all times in a manner befitting their status as international civil servants.
In an effort to maintain the high standard of conduct expected and deserved by the international community, IFDC operates under the Code of Business Ethics and Conduct outlined below. All employees and representatives are required to sign the Code of Business Ethics and Conduct form certifying that, in delivering IFDC services and in all other IFDC activities, they will meet the following standards of conduct:
- Compliance Requirements. All employees and representatives are required to comply with applicable laws and regulations of the host countries in which IFDC conducts business or operates, as well as with IFDC policies and regulations.
- Actions Prohibited by the Code of Business Ethics and Conduct. No employee or representative shall engage in the following actions:
a. Personal Use. Authorize the use of or use for the benefit or advantage of himself/ herself or any other person, the name, brand, emblem, endorsement, services or property of IFDC, except in conformance with IFDC policy.
b. Financial Advantage. Accept or seek, on behalf of himself/herself or any other person, any financial advantage or gain offered as a result of the employee’s or representative’s affiliation with IFDC.
c. IFDC Affiliation. Use his/her IFDC affiliation in connection with the promotion of partisan politics, religious matters or positions on any issue not in conformity with IFDC’s official position.
d. Confidentiality. Communicate to any person outside of IFDC or use to private or personal advantage any information known to them by reason of their official position that has not been made public. These obligations shall not cease upon separation from or the completion of an assignment with IFDC.
e. Improper Influence. In performance of their duties, seek or accept instructions from any government or from any other authority external to IFDC unless specifically required or allowed by contract.
f. Conflict of Interest. Hold any continuous or recurring outside occupation or employment that conflicts with his/her IFDC employment or assignment, without prior approval of the President. No employee or representative may be actively associated with the management of or hold financial interest in any business concern if it is possible for him/her to benefit from such association by reason of his/her position with IFDC. An employee or representative who has occasion to deal in an official capacity with any matter involving a business concern in which he/she holds a financial interest shall disclose the measure of that interest to the President (e.g., receiving financial or other compensation for serving on the Board of an organization). The mere holding of shares in a company shall not constitute a financial interest within the meaning of this rule.
g. Retaliation. Retaliate against any employee or representative who seeks advice from, raises a concern with or makes a complaint to a supervisor or other member of management, or any other whistleblower program, about fraud, waste, abuse, policy violations, discrimination, illegal conduct, unethical conduct, unsafe conduct or any other misconduct by the organization, its employees or volunteers.
h. Contrary to the Best Interest of IFDC. Operate or act in any manner that is contrary to the best interest of IFDC.
- Gifts, Entertainment and Favors. Employees and representatives shall not accept entertainment, gifts, personal favors or preferential treatment that could in any way influence, or appear to influence, business decisions in favor of any person or organization with whom or with which IFDC has, or is likely to have, business dealings. This does not include food, refreshments or gifts of nominal value received in the ordinary course of conducting business.
- Drugs and Alcohol. IFDC is firmly committed to the health and safety of its employees and representatives. IFDC considers the influence of drugs and alcohol in the workplace to be detrimental to its employees and/or to its continued growth and future success. Employees and/or representatives who use non-prescribed controlled substances or alcoholic beverages on the job, or report or return to work under the influence of either, will be subject to immediate discharge.
a. Purpose. IFDC employees and representatives are expected to maintain a professional demeanor in the office and conduct themselves with the highest degree of ethical standards. In the event an employee, representative or client has credible evidence of misappropriation, fraud, waste, abuse, IFDC policy violations, illegal or unethical conduct, unsafe conduct or any other misconduct by the organization or its employees or representatives, he/she/they are encouraged to report the matter.
b. Reporting. Reports may be filed as follows:
1) By written communication to the President and CEO, with a copy to the Secretary, IFDC Board of Directors, and the Director, Operations Division (OPD).
2) Regarding a complaint against any of the individuals listed in section b.1), by written communication to the Chairman of the IFDC Board of Directors with a copy to the Chairman of the Audit Committee of the IFDC Board of Directors. Both communications should be addressed to the recipient as:
P.O. Box 2040
Muscle Shoals, Alabama 35662 USA
c. Protection. There will be no recourse or retaliatory action taken against the individual(s) making the report unless the report is determined to be based upon false allegations that are purposefully made to defame the character of the accused. Reports may be filed anonymously or with disclosure of identity and in all instances, every effort will be made to protect the identity of the individual(s) making the report.