COMESA’s Vision is to “be a fully integrated, internationally competitive regional economic community with high standards of living for all of its people ready to merge into an African Economic Community.”
Its Mission is to “Endeavour to achieve sustainable economic and social progress in all Member States through increased cooperation and integration in all fields of development particularly in trade, customs and monetary affairs, transport, communication and information, technology, industry and energy, gender, agriculture, environment and natural resources.”
The Secretariat was guided to develop its specific Mission Statement as follows:
“To provide excellent technical services to COMESA in order to facilitate the region’s sustained development through economic integration.”
COMESA's core values were defined as follows:
- The Secretariat believes in satisfying its customers.
- It delivers services with professionalism, integrity and innovation.
- It believes in quality leadership, teamwork and respect for each other in an enabling environment.
- It cares for the environment and upholds its social responsibility.
The Mission and Values Statements on their own are not sufficient to ensure efficient and effective service delivery. They have to be linked to the strategy of the Secretariat which is building excellence into every process of the organization through:
- Creation of a participatory environment which allows and encourages staff to contribute to the development of the organization either individually or in teams;
- Enhancement of staff competencies through continuous improvement;
- Establishment of economical, efficient and effective systems and procedures; and
- Effective and efficient communication.
Information provided by COMESA